Are you seeking an unforgettable adventure amid alpine peaks and cascading waterfalls? Lauterbrunnen, a quaint village in the Swiss Alps, is home to 72 breathtaking waterfalls.
Lauterbrunnen and Oberland are some of our favorite places that we have been in the world! There’s amazing scenery with top attractions, outdoor activities, accommodation options, and more.
Ready for a thrilling journey through the “Valley of 72 Waterfalls”? Let’s dive in!
- Lauterbrunnen is a charming village in the Swiss Alps, known for its 72 breathtaking waterfalls and stunning mountain views.
- Top attractions in Lauterbrunnen include Trummelbach Falls, Mürren, Mount Schilthorn, Jungfraujoch, Grindelwald, and Interlaken.
- Outdoor activities in Lauterbrunnen include hiking through scenic trails in the valley, paragliding to enjoy aerial views of the region, skiing and snowboarding at Wengen Ski Resort, and cycling or mountain biking through well-marked trails.
- Accommodation options in Lauterbrunnen range from luxury hotels to cozy apartments and camping sites with picturesque views. Visitors can also find numerous restaurants and cafes that offer local Swiss cuisine.
Top Attractions in Lauterbrunnen
Lauterbrunnen Village offers a charming, picturesque setting in the heart of the Swiss Alps.
Lauterbrunnen Village is a sight to behold. It sits in the heart of alpine splendor, with grand mountains and deep valleys. You can spot Staubbach Falls here, almost 300 meters tall.
This waterfall lights up the village view! The quaint small town feel of Lauterbrunnen draws many visitors. There are fun things to do, like paragliding or train rides in beautiful scenery.
Its charm makes it a top spot for people who see what’s special about Lauterbrunnen Valley.
Trummelbach Falls is a powerful sight. It sits inside the mountainside of the Lauterbrunnen Valley. It is not just one waterfall, but ten! All these waterfalls are part of a deep slot canyon.
They look like they cut through the mountain to make their own home.
The falls get their water from glaciers. This makes it special and unique. Trummelbach Falls holds a title as a UNESCO World Heritage site for its beauty and mightiness. You can view them from different angles owing to some viewing platforms built around this attraction, giving you great views every time you visit!
Mürren sits high in the Swiss Alps. It is the tallest town in this part of Switzerland. A cable car ride or a train trip is needed to get there from Lauterbrunnen. Once you are in Mürren, be ready for fun and adventure! The old style of the place will take your breath away.
There are amazing views of Jungfrau as well. You should check out the cable car schedule before you go.
Mount Schilthorn is one of the highest peaks in the Jungfrau region and a top attraction in Lauterbrunnen Valley. It offers breathtaking panoramic views of the Swiss Alps, making it a must-visit destination for anyone traveling to Lauterbrunnen.
To reach Mount Schilthorn from Lauterbrunnen, you can take a cable car that will take you up to its summit. Once there, you can enjoy stunning vistas and visit the famous revolving restaurant featured in James Bond’s “On Her Majesty’s Secret Service.” Whether you’re an outdoor enthusiast or love admiring natural beauty, Mount Schilthorn will surely provide a memorable experience during your visit to Switzerland.
Jungfraujoch, also known as the “Top of Europe,” is a must-visit spot when exploring Lauterbrunnen. Situated in the Swiss Alps between the Jungfrau and Mönch mountains, it offers one of the most unique experiences in Switzerland.
Check out our Jungfraujoch guide, one of our favorite day trips that we’ve been on anywhere.
A train trip to Jungfraujoch Top of Europe station should be on your bucket list. With its breathtaking views and stunning scenery, it’s no wonder why Jungfraujoch is considered one of the top attractions in this region.
Grindelwald is a larger town at the base of the impressive Eiger and Wetterhorn mountains. It offers plenty of unforgettable places to explore, making it a must-visit destination in the Swiss Alps.
You can easily reach Grindelwald from Lauterbrunnen by car or train, with Interlaken is the gateway city to the Bernese Oberland. Whether you stay in Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen, you’re guaranteed an incredible experience surrounded by stunning mountain peaks and breathtaking landscapes.
Interlaken is a beautiful town located near Lauterbrunnen. It is known for its stunning lakes, Lake Brienz and Lake Thun, and the River Aare that flows through it. As a popular gateway city into the heart of the Bernese Oberland, Interlaken offers easy access to many top attractions in Lauterbrunnen.
Whether you want to explore the nearby mountains or enjoy water activities on the lakes, Interlaken is an excellent base for adventure in this picturesque region.
Outdoor Activities in Lauterbrunnen
Hiking, paragliding, skiing and snowboarding, and cycling are some thrilling outdoor activities you can enjoy in Lauterbrunnen. Discover the beauty of nature as you explore the stunning landscapes and adrenaline-pumping adventures this Swiss village has to offer.
Keep reading to learn more!
Hiking in Lauterbrunnen Valley
Hiking in Lauterbrunnen Valley is popular with nature lovers and outdoor enthusiasts. The valley offers a variety of hiking trails, ranging from easy walks to more challenging treks. Here are some highlights:
- Beginner-friendly trails: Lauterbrunnen Valley is known for its beginner-friendly hiking trails, making it a great place for those new to hiking or who prefer easier routes.
- Scenic views: Hiking in Lauterbrunnen Valley allows you to enjoy spectacular views of snow-capped mountains, waterfalls, and lush green meadows. The stunning beauty of the Bernese Oberland region surrounds you.
- Easy access: Many hiking trails in Lauterbrunnen Valley start near the village center or Lauterbrunnen train station, providing easy access for hikers. You can lace up your boots and start exploring right away.
- Pleasant walks: If you’re looking for a stroll, there are pleasant walks along the valley floor that take you past charming villages, scenic viewpoints, and cascading waterfalls. These easy trails are perfect for a relaxed hike with friends or family.
- Challenging hikes: For more experienced hikers seeking a challenge, longer and more strenuous hikes are available in the higher elevations of the valley. These hikes offer breathtaking views and allow you to explore further into the surrounding mountains.
Paragliding is one of the exciting outdoor activities you can enjoy in Lauterbrunnen. With stunning views of the Jungfrau Region, Airtime Paragliding offers thrilling flights that let you glide through the Alps and feel the sprays of water from the mountains.
It’s a unique experience that allows you to see breathtaking landscapes from above. If you’re visiting Lauterbrunnen, book a paragliding adventure with Airtime Paragliding for an unforgettable perspective of the Alps.
You’ll have an adrenaline-fueled journey while taking in the beauty of Switzerland’s natural wonders.
Skiing and Snowboarding
Lauterbrunnen is a hub for skiing and snowboarding, offering exciting opportunities for winter sports enthusiasts. Here are some facts about skiing and snowboarding in Lauterbrunnen:
- Lauterbrunnen is home to the Wengen Ski Resort, a popular destination for skiing and snowboarding.
- The resort offers 213km of pistes, with slopes reaching an altitude of 2971m.
- Lauterbrunnen Valley is a great place for skiing and snowboarding, with its ski slopes and stunning scenery.
- The valley is known for its glacial waterfalls, making it a unique and picturesque setting for winter sports.
- In addition to skiing and snowboarding, other outdoor activities are available in Lauterbrunnen, such as hiking and paragliding.
Cycling and Mountain Biking
Lauterbrunnen is a great place for cycling and mountain biking. Here are some things you can do:
- Enjoy the well-marked trails for mountain biking in Lauterbrunnen.
- Rent bikes of varying quality to suit your needs.
- Explore the mostly gravel route with some short sections of dirt and pavement.
- Take the flat and fast trek from Interlaken to Wildersil for a great cycling experience.
- Benefit from easy access to nearby mountains, making Lauterbrunnen perfect for outdoor activities like cycling and mountain biking.
Accommodation and Dining options in Lauterbrunnen
Lauterbrunnen offers a range of accommodation options, including hotels, apartments, and camping sites. Visitors can also find plenty of restaurants and cafes in the village to enjoy local Swiss cuisine.
Lauterbrunnen offers various accommodation options for visitors with varying styles and budgets. Unwind in luxury 5-star hotels or stay cost-effectively at one of the many hostels in the area. Here are some of the top hotel options in this beautiful Swiss valley.
|Hotel Edelweiss||This value-for-money hotel offers spa services for relaxation.||Conveniently located near a train station.|
|Hotel Baren||A top choice for visitors, this hotel features a restaurant and bar/lounge.||Centrally located in Lauterbrunnen.|
|Hotel Oberland||Visitors can enjoy free WiFi, dine at the onsite restaurant, or unwind in the bar.||Located near the Trümmelbachfälle, a famous waterfall in Lauterbrunnen.|
These hotels, among others in Lauterbrunnen, provide comfortable stay options and add to the charm of your trip with stunning landscapes in the background. From family-friendly options like the Hotel Bären to hotels offering spa services like the Hotel Edelweiss, there is a place for every traveler in Lauterbrunnen.
Lauterbrunnen is adorned with a range of apartments that enhance the homely feel of this charming Swiss town. Here’s a snapshot of some standout options.
|Apartment Name||Feature||Proximity to Amenities|
|Apartment Breithorn||Offers free private WiFi and parking|
|Hornerpub Apartments||Has dining options with excellent reviews||Located near markets and restaurants|
In addition, several apartments are nestled amongst Lauterbrunnen’s picturesque and rustic houses, Swiss chalets, and hotels. Lauterbrunnen proper and Wengen areas are particularly popular for their abundance of accommodation options and restaurants.
Camping in Lauterbrunnen is a popular option for visitors who want a unique experience surrounded by nature. One well-known campsite is Camping Jungfrau, which offers everything you need, including Eurocamp tents and trailers.
You can see the breathtaking views of mountains and waterfalls from your tent, making it an unforgettable experience. It’s important to note that dispersed wilderness camping is uncommon here; most people choose established campsites like Camping Jungfrau or opt for hotel and guesthouse accommodations.
Whether you’re looking for an adventurous camping trip or want to enjoy the beauty of nature, camping in Lauterbrunnen is a great choice.
Restaurants and Cafes
Lauterbrunnen boasts diverse restaurants and cafes, serving everything from traditional Swiss cuisine to international dishes.
|Hotel Oberland Restaurant||Known for its diverse menu with a focus on local Swiss cuisine.|
|Restaurant Weidstübli||Offers a cozy, traditional dining experience with a variety of Swiss dishes.|
|Hotel Restaurant Schützen||She was praised for its Swiss specialties and warm, inviting ambiance.|
From these standout eateries to the numerous cafes perfect for a quick bite or relaxing cup of coffee, dining in Lauterbrunnen provides a taste of Switzerland’s culinary culture in a breathtaking alpine setting.
How to Get to Lauterbrunnen
You can take a train or drive by car to get to Lauterbrunnen.
The easiest way to reach Lauterbrunnen is by train. The village is well-connected to major cities in Switzerland like Zurich and Lucerne. You can take a train from Bern or Lucerne to Lauterbrunnen, making it convenient for travelers.
If you want to go from Lauterbrunnen to Interlaken, train tickets can be bought for as low as CA$ 13.54. Traveling by train also allows you to enjoy the scenic views of the Swiss countryside.
The Swiss Travel Pass and the Regional Pass Bernese Oberland are excellent options for travelers planning to explore Switzerland using public transportation. Each pass offers a range of benefits and discounts, making it easy to decide which one suits your itinerary best.
The Swiss Travel Pass is a convenient, all-in-one ticket granting unlimited access to Switzerland’s public transportation network, including trains, buses, and boats. It also includes free admission to over 500 museums and discounts on mountain excursions. The Swiss
travelon trains, buses, and boats in Switzerland
- Free admission to over 500 museums
- Discounts on mountain excursions, such as Mount Pilatus and Mount Rigi
travelfor children under 16 when accompanied by a parent with a Swiss Family Card
Regional Pass Bernese Oberland
The Regional Pass Bernese Oberland is designed specifically for travelers exploring the Bernese Oberland region, including popular destinations like Interlaken, Grindelwald, and Lauterbrunnen. The pass offers unlimited
travelon select trains, buses, boats, and cable cars within the Bernese Oberland region
- Discounts on mountain excursions, such as the Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn
traveldays within one month
Ultimately, the choice between the Swiss Travel Pass and the Regional Pass Bernese Oberland depends on your
However, if your focus is solely on the Bernese Oberland region, the Regional Pass Bernese Oberland could provide better value for your trip.
Switzerland is known for having one of the world’s most efficient and extensive train systems. The train network is a great way to get around the country and an excellent option for families traveling with kids. One of the main benefits of traveling by train in Switzerland is that it is safe, reliable, and eco-friendly. Additionally, many trains are equipped with features that make them especially kid-friendly.
Switzerland is known for having one of the world’s most efficient and extensive train systems. The train network is a great way to get around the country and an excellent option for families traveling with kids.
One of the main benefits of traveling by train in Switzerland is that it is safe, reliable, and eco-friendly.
Additionally, many trains are equipped with features that make them especially kid-friendly.
For example, some Swiss trains have playgrounds on the upper levels, which provide a fun and safe environment for kids to play and burn off energy during long journeys.
In this picture, the upper deck had a slide that our kids spent the whole two-hour ride playing with other kids on.
These play areas often contain slides, swings, and other toys to entertain children.
Some trains also have family compartments, which offer extra space and privacy for families traveling with young children.
Another great feature of Swiss trains is that they offer stunning views of the countryside and mountains.
Kids will love watching the changing scenery from the comfort of their seats, and parents will appreciate the opportunity to relax and take in the beautiful surroundings.
Additionally, many Swiss trains offer onboard dining options, which are convenient for families traveling with kids who may need to eat or snack during their journey.
On this journey from Interlaken to Lucerne, the train featured a dining car, though full meals weren’t served.
If you prefer to travel by car, there are a few options for getting to Lauterbrunnen. If you’re coming from Zurich, you can take a train, catch the bus, or rent a car. The town has a multi-story car park attached to the train station and limited parking near the church.
It’s also possible to drive from Salzburg but keep in mind that parking in Lauterbrunnen is conveniently connected to the railway station. Just remember that limited parking options are available at the smaller car park near the church.
Weather in Lauterbrunnen
Lauterbrunnen experiences different weather throughout the year. In November, it gets really cold with a lot of snow. The average high temperature for this month is around 34°F, and the average low temperature is around 25°F.
So if you’re planning to visit in November, bundle up and bring warm clothing.
On the other hand, June brings moderate chilly weather to Lauterbrunnen. It’s still cool and humid this month, with an average high temperature of 61°F and an average low temperature of 45°F.
March is another cold month in Lauterbrunnen, with temperatures averaging around -3℃. The average high temperature for March is about 1℃, while the average low-temperature drops to -9℃.
Lauterbrunnen has a humid climate overall, but April is the least humid month, with a relative humidity of about 58.4%. Keep in mind that Lauterbrunnen is located in Switzerland’s canton of Bern.
During the summer months of July and August, Lauterbrunnen can experience warmer temperatures above 80°F. So if you prefer milder weather without extreme cold temperatures or heavy snowfall, plan your visit accordingly!
In conclusion, Lauterbrunnen is a picturesque village in the heart of the Swiss Alps. Its stunning waterfalls, majestic mountains, and thrilling outdoor activities offer something for everyone to enjoy.
Lauterbrunnen is worth visiting whether you’re seeking adventure or want to relax and enjoy the natural beauty.
FAQs: Discover the Charm of Lauterbrunnen, Switzerland
1. Where is Lauterbrunnen located?
Lauterbrunnen is nestled in Switzerland, specifically in the Bernese Oberland region. This small Swiss village lies in the narrow Lauterbrunnen Valley, surrounded by towering mountains. It’s not far from nearby towns, making it accessible for travelers.
2. What are some popular attractions in Lauterbrunnen?
Lauterbrunnen is home to some of Switzerland’s most breathtaking attractions.
- Kleine Scheidegg: A high mountain pass and a popular spot for hikers.
- Best Views: Enjoy the best views from the Schynige Platte on a clear day.
- Trümmelbach Falls: Witness one of the highest free-falling waterfalls in Europe.
- Piz Gloria: A unique revolving restaurant and a must-see vantage point.
- Aletsch Glacier and Sphinx Observatory: Marvel at the glacier and the high-altitude observation deck.
- Staubbach Waterfall: A main attraction and one of the most popular things to see, especially from the viewing platform.
- Flower Trail: An easy trail with vibrant flowers and an amazing landscape.
- Hiking Trail: Explore the best places through hiking trails for all skill levels.
3. Can I visit Lauterbrunnen year-round?
Absolutely! Lauterbrunnen is a popular place throughout the year.
- Winter Months: Skiing and snowboarding reign, especially near Lauterbrunnen Railway Station.
- Best Time: The best time for outdoor activities is during the high season, with access to trails like Mürren Via Ferrata.
- Spring and Summer: These seasons bring hiking opportunities, including a short walk to the breathtaking valley of Lauterbrunnen.
4. Are there accommodations available in Lauterbrunnen?
Lauterbrunnen offers a variety of accommodations.
- Hotel Silberhorn: A historic hotel located on Main Street.
- Hotel Staubbach: Known for great things like its proximity to Staubbach Waterfall.
- Vacation Rentals: Plenty of options for a longer or overnight stay.
- Guesthouses: Many are found along the main road, offering an easy walk to the town center.
- Swiss Travel Pass: Consider this for savings on public transport.
- Small Village Charm: Explore the quaint villages and enjoy a great time.
- Credit Cards: Accepted in most popular locations.
- Main Differences: Each season offers unique experiences, making every time of year special in its own right.
- Lord Byron: This famed poet wrote a well-known poem inspired by the area.
- Alpine Village Feel: The sides of the valley and sea level differences create a unique alpine ambiance.
Whether you’re interested in cultural history, want to take an easy hike along a short trail, or want to take in the scenery, Lauterbrunnen will captivate you. It’s natural wonders and warm Swiss hospitality makes it a destination worth exploring. Enjoy your journey to this magical place!