Horseback Riding Near Vail: A Breathtaking Adventure Awaits
Looking for an unforgettable outdoor adventure in the heart of the Colorado Rockies? You’ve come to the right place! This article will take you through the various horseback riding options near Vail Valley. From pony rides and goat yoga to scenic rides, you’re in for a great experience. So, saddle up, and let’s get started! 🏇
Vail, in the heart of the Colorado Rockies, is a premier mountain resort town renowned for its world-class skiing and stunning natural beauty. Beyond skiing, Vail offers year-round outdoor activities like horseback riding, hiking, and mountain biking. Its charming alpine village, vibrant cultural scene, and diverse dining options make Vail a great destination for relaxation and excitement.
Top Thing To Do: Scenic Gondola Ride
Where To Eat: Swiss Chalet Restaurant
How To Get There: To get to Vail, most people fly into Denver International Airport (DEN) and then take a scenic 2-hour drive west on Interstate 70. Alternatively, you can fly into the smaller Eagle County Regional Airport (EGE), though this airport can be more affected by weather, about 35 miles west of Vail, and then drive or take a shuttle to the resort town.
Where To Stay: The Arrabelle at Vail Square: This luxurious, family-friendly resort offers ski-in/ski-out access, an outdoor heated pool, and a variety of dining options, making it perfect for a memorable stay in Vail.
Unique Horseback Riding Experiences
- Pony Rides and Goat Yoga: At Vail Stables, you can enjoy pony rides for the little ones and goat yoga for a truly unique ranch setting experience.
- Breathtaking Trail Rides: Immerse yourself in the beauty of the Colorado Rockies with a two-hour ride at Bearcat Stables or a scenic tour with Beaver Creek Stables. Marvel at the aspen trees, pristine Piney River, and views of the surrounding mountain peaks.
- Winter Horseback Rides: Yes, you read that right! Enjoy the magic of a snowy trail with Sage Outdoor Adventures or explore the backcountry of the White River National Forest with Lakota Guides.
Tailored Rides for All Skill Levels
- Advanced Riders: Challenge yourself on the mountainous terrain with Eagle Ranch’s Eagle Stables.
- Easy Rides for Families: Take a ride through wildflower meadows and mountain meadows at the historic Bearden Homestead or enjoy a scenic, gentle ride at Piney River Ranch.
Horseback Riding and Wildlife Sightings
Discover the Rich Fauna of the Rockies: Embark on a truly unique ride where you might catch a glimpse of the local wildlife. With great historical significance, the surrounding area is a haven for diverse species. Keep your eyes peeled for sightings of wildlife and create a memorable experience!
Pack Trips and Overnight Adventures
Immerse Yourself in the Colorado Wilderness: Ready to level up your horseback riding experience? Pack trips are multi-day excursions deep into the heart of the Rockies. Traverse the beautiful backcountry, ride gentle horses, and camp under the stars. This is an extraordinary opportunity to connect with nature and create lifelong memories.
Horseback Riding with a Gourmet Touch
Savor the Flavors of Colorado: Combine your love for horseback riding with a culinary adventure! The picnic ride offers a leisurely journey through gorgeous trails, culminating in a delicious meal with breathtaking views of the Sawatch Range. Sip a glass of wine, savor the region’s flavors, and revel in the stunning mountain views.
Winter Park Horseback Riding
Experience a Winter Wonderland on Horseback: Are you seeking an unforgettable winter horseback riding experience? Winter Park offers many options, from scenic rides through snow-covered mountain meadows to thrilling gallops across the frozen Colorado River. Don’t let the cold weather keep you from enjoying the great outdoors!
Top Resorts in Vail
Sonnenalp Vail is a luxurious, family-owned resort in the heart of Vail Village, offering guests a unique blend of European charm and Colorado hospitality. With Bavarian-style architecture, this renowned property provides an elegant and cozy atmosphere that makes guests feel right at home.
Top Restaurants in Vail
Vail offers a diverse culinary scene with various top-rated restaurants to suit every taste. Here are some highly recommended options:
- Sweet Basil: A Vail favorite for over 40 years, Sweet Basil offers contemporary American cuisine with a creative twist. Enjoy stunning mountain views while dining on innovative dishes made from fresh, local ingredients. Visit their website.
- Mountain Standard: A sister restaurant to Sweet Basil, Mountain Standard is known for its rustic, tavern-style atmosphere and wood-fired menu. They focus on regional and seasonal ingredients to create a unique, delicious dining experience. Visit their website.
- Larkspur: With a focus on fresh, seasonal ingredients, Larkspur offers a diverse menu of American classics, seafood, and hand-crafted pizzas. The elegant dining room and outdoor patio provide a delightful atmosphere for a memorable meal. Visit their website.
- La Tour: A French-inspired bistro in the heart of Vail Village, La Tour offers a sophisticated dining experience with an extensive wine list and delicious, classic French dishes. Visit their website.
The Social Side of Horseback Riding
Share Your Adventure and Collect Feedback: Did you have a fantastic time on your horseback riding trip?
Share your experience on social media and collect feedback from your friends and fellow adventurers. Many stables even run marketing campaigns and offer special deals, so tag them and spread the word!
Responsible Horseback Riding
An Equal Opportunity Service Provider: Choosing a horseback riding provider committed to providing an inclusive and enjoyable experience for all is essential. Many stables are proud to be Equal Opportunity Service Providers, ensuring that all riders, regardless of their background or abilities, can enjoy the comforts of home and the thrill of riding nose-to-tail through the Colorado Rockies.
- Satisfy Your Hunger: Treat yourself to a cold beer at the Beer Garden or indulge in a glass of wine at Beano’s Cabin after a long ride.
What should I wear for horseback riding? Long pants and comfortable shoes are recommended.
Is there a safety briefing before the ride? All stables provide informational safety briefings and will help you with your horseback riding skills.
Can I book a private horseback ride? Many stables offer private horseback rides for a more personal experience.
Are there any horseback riding options for kids? Yes! Pony rides and pony time are available for the little ones.
Are there any opportunities to see wildlife during the rides? Sightings of wildlife are common during rides but not guaranteed.
What if I have more questions or need additional information? Feel free to contact the stables or visit their websites for more details on their horseback riding trips and offerings.
Whether you’re an experienced rider or a first-timer, horseback riding near Vail offers an unparalleled adventure. With options for everyone and stunning natural beauty, there’s no better way to enjoy the spirit of the Old West and the majestic mountains of Colorado. So go ahead, book your horseback riding adventure today!
Check out some of our other winter destinations: