Best Beaches For Kids In Maui
Are you planning a Hawaii family trip and looking for the best beaches for kids in Maui? With its warm, calm waters and engaging water activities, this beautiful Hawaiian island is a paradise for families.
In this blog post, we’ll walk you through Maui’s top seven kid-friendly beaches, highlighting why they made our list and useful tips to make your visit easier. Get ready to discover some sandy gems where fun meets safety!
- Baby Beach in Lahaina is considered the best beach for kids in Maui due to its calm waters and shallow depth.
- Kapalua Bay is a stunning beach on the west coast of Maui that offers calm waters and perfect conditions for young children.
- Kamaole Beach Parks 1 and 2 are popular beaches with calm waters, sandy shores, and grassy areas ideal for families with kids.
- Kahekili Beach Park (Airport Beach) in West Maui’s Ka’anapali Beach Resort area provides excellent snorkeling opportunities, family-friendly amenities, and free parking.
Baby Beach (Lahaina)
Baby Beach in Lahaina is considered the best beach in Maui for kids due to its calm waters and shallow depth.
Why Baby Beach made our list
Baby Beach in Lahaina easily made our list as one of Maui’s best beaches for kids. Its prime location at Front Street and Kenui Street intersection makes it a convenient destination for families.
A long stretch of protective reef creates calm, shallow waters perfect for young swimmers or toddlers getting their feet wet. Tranquil and safe, Baby Beach is often top-of-mind among local families when they seek a beach getaway.
Kids can enjoy snorkeling year-round here, making it more than just a typical sand-and-shore experience. Plus, with on-site amenities like trash and recycle bins, keeping the environment clean while having fun becomes hassle-free.
Tips for visiting Baby Beach
Planning your family vacation to Baby Beach can be a breeze with these helpful tips:
- Opt for public transportation: The beach is just a short bus trip away from Lahaina, saving you the hassle of parking.
- Keep an eye out for marine life: Baby Beach offers great year-round snorkeling opportunities, so bring along your gear and keep an eye out for colorful sea life.
- Pack a picnic: With picnic tables available, this is a perfect spot to enjoy a relaxed meal with the family.
- Watch for whales: If you’re visiting during winter, keep your eyes peeled for humpback whales in the distance.
- Come early or stay late: Local families often visit Baby Beach, making it popular. Arriving early or staying until later could help you avoid crowds.
- Clean up after yourselves: Trash and recycle bins are provided at the beach. Leave the place as clean as possible, respecting nature and other beach-goers.
- Know where to go: Baby Beach is located at Front Street’s intersection with Kenui Street in Lahaina – make sure your GPS is set correctly.
- Enjoy safe swimming conditions: Protected by an exposed stretch of reef, this beach offers calm waters perfect for young kids.
- Don’t forget sun protection: Soft white sand reflects sunlight strongly – slather on sunscreen and consider carrying hats and sunglasses too.
- Prepare to relax and unwind: Despite not being the most beautiful beach on Maui’s north shore, its tranquil environment makes it one of the best spots for families with small children.
Kapalua Bay, located on the west coast of Maui, is a stunning beach that made our list for its calm waters and perfect conditions for young children.
Why Kapalua Bay made our list
Kapalua Bay is a standout even among the best beaches in Maui, which makes it perfect for families. It’s crescent shape and golden sand provide plenty of space for fun beach activities, and kids will love building sandcastles here! The clear waters, meanwhile offer an exciting window to a world teeming with marine life – allowing children to learn while having fun snorkeling.
Known far and wide as one of Hawaii’s top spots, Kapalua Bay Beach also offers easy access benefits – a crucial factor for parents lugging beach gear and wrangling little ones. This makes your family beach day more about enjoyment rather than logistics.
Plus, this beach strikes a harmonious balance of being loved by locals yet recognized globally; Dr. Beach himself has lauded it as one of Maui’s finest!
Tips for visiting Kapalua Bay
Here are some tips for visiting Kapalua Bay, one of the best beaches for kids in Maui:
- Arrive early to secure a spot on the beach, as it can get crowded due to its popularity.
- Don’t forget your snorkeling gear! The bay is known for its vibrant marine life, so you don’t want to miss out on exploring underwater.
- Pack a picnic lunch or snacks, as picnic tables are available for use and it’s a great place to enjoy a meal with your family.
- Bring plenty of sunscreen and apply it frequently throughout the day, as the sun can be intense in Maui.
- Take advantage of the calm waters at Kapalua Bay by renting some boogie boards or paddleboards for some water fun with your kids.
- Keep an eye out for sea turtles! They are often spotted swimming near the bay, providing a unique experience for young children.
- If you’re staying at the Montage Kapalua Bay hotel, enjoy their beach access and amenities.
- Explore nearby family-friendly beaches, such as Napili Bay and Ka’anapali Beach, if you’re looking for more options during your vacation in Maui.
Kamaole Beach Parks 1 and 2 made our list of best beaches for kids in Maui because of their calm waters and sandy shores.
Why Kamaole Beach Parks 1 and 2 made our list
For several reasons, Kamaole Beach Parks 1 and 2 have earned their spots on our Maui list of the best beaches for kids. First, these popular beaches offer calm waters perfect for young children to swim and play in safely.
Both parks have grassy areas and picnic tables, providing a great place for families to relax and enjoy a beachside meal together. Kamaole Beach Park I boasts a picturesque white sand beach, while Kamaole Beach Park II offers stunning views of Molokini, Kaho’olawe, and Lana’i islands.
With ample opportunities for swimming, snorkeling, picnicking, and simply enjoying the beauty of Maui’s shores, it’s no wonder these family-friendly beaches made our top picks.
Tips for visiting Kamaole Beach Parks
Visiting Kamaole Beach Parks in Maui with your kids? Here are some tips to make the most of your trip:
- Arrive early: Kamaole Beach Parks can get crowded, especially during peak hours. Arriving early will ensure you secure a good spot on the beach and have plenty of space for your family.
- Pack snacks and drinks: While picnic areas are at the parks, bringing your snacks and drinks is always a good idea. This way, you can keep your kids nourished and hydrated throughout the day.
- Don’t forget sunscreen: Protecting your family’s skin from the sun is crucial, so don’t forget to pack sunscreen. Apply it generously to everyone before heading out to the beach.
- Bring beach toys: Kids love playing in the sand, so bring buckets, shovels, and other beach toys. This will keep them entertained for hours.
- Keep an eye on your children: The beaches at Kamaole Beach Parks are relatively safe for swimming, but it’s important to keep a close eye on your children at all times. Always supervise them when they’re near or in the water.
- Take advantage of water activities: Kamaole Beach Parks offer great opportunities for water activities like snorkeling and boogie boarding. Consider renting equipment or bringing your own to make the most of these options.
- Respect marine life: Maui’s waters are home to beautiful marine life, so teach your kids about respecting these creatures and their habitats. Avoid touching or disturbing any wildlife you may encounter while snorkeling or swimming.
- Pack extra towels and clothes: Having extra towels and clothes on hand is always handy when spending a day at the beach with kids. They tend to get wet or dirty quickly, so having spare items will ensure everyone stays comfortable throughout the day.
- Clean up after yourself: Help preserve the beauty of Kamaole Beach Parks by cleaning up after your family. Leave no trash behind and be mindful of the environment.
- Enjoy the sunset: Kamaole Beach Parks offers stunning views, especially during sunset. Take a moment to relax and enjoy this magical experience with your family.
Kahekili Beach Park (Airport Beach)
Kahekili Beach Park, also known as Airport Beach, is another beach that made our list of the best beaches for kids in Maui.
Why Kahekili Beach Park made our list
Kahekili Beach Park, also known as Airport Beach, is a must-visit beach for families vacationing in Maui. Located in West Maui’s beautiful Ka’anapali Beach Resort area, this beach offers stunning natural beauty and family-friendly amenities.
One of the reasons why Kahekili Beach Park made our list is its fantastic snorkeling and diving opportunities. Visitors can easily go from lounging on the soft white sand to exploring colorful underwater reefs filled with vibrant marine life.
Additionally, this beach park provides plenty of free amenities like picnic tables and a covered gazebo, making it an ideal spot for a relaxing family picnic by the sea. And with ample free parking available, you won’t have to worry about finding a place to park your car while enjoying all that Kahekili Beach Park has to offer.
Tips for visiting Kahekili Beach Park
Here are some helpful tips for visiting Kahekili Beach Park:
- Arrive early to secure parking: Kahekili Beach Park can get crowded, especially during peak tourist seasons. To ensure that you find parking close to the beach, it’s best to arrive early in the day.
- Bring your snorkeling gear: Kahekili Beach Park is renowned for its excellent snorkeling opportunities. Don’t forget to pack your snorkeling gear to explore the vibrant underwater world and colorful coral reefs.
- Pack a picnic: The beach park has picnic tables and facilities, making it a great spot for a family picnic. Bring some snacks and drinks to enjoy a leisurely lunch by the beach.
- Be mindful of debris: Kahekili Beach Park may have debris washed ashore like any other beach. Watch out for trash or sharp objects and dispose of them properly to keep the beach clean and safe for everyone.
- Explore beyond the water: While the main attraction of Kahekili Beach Park is its stunning shoreline, don’t forget to explore the surrounding area as well. Stroll along the beach, venture into nearby hiking trails, or simply relax on the soft sands.
- Check weather conditions: Before heading to Kahekili Beach Park, it’s wise to check weather conditions, especially if you plan on engaging in water activities such as snorkeling or swimming. Be aware of any surf advisories or high winds affecting your safety.
- Respect marine life: The underwater ecosystem at Kahekili Beach Park is teeming with marine life, including colorful fish and sea turtles. Remember to maintain a respectful distance from these creatures and avoid touching or disturbing them.
- Stay hydrated: Spending time under the sun can be dehydrating, especially in warm tropical areas like Maui. Remember to drink plenty of water throughout your visit to stay hydrated and energized.
- Follow beach safety rules: Kahekili Beach Park has lifeguards on duty, so it’s important to follow their instructions and any posted beach safety rules. Keep an eye on your children, especially when they are in the water, to ensure their safety.
- Enjoy the sunset: Kahekili Beach Park offers a picturesque setting for witnessing breathtaking sunsets over the horizon. Stay a little longer in the evening to catch this stunning natural phenomenon.
– Why Napili Bay made our list: Napili Bay is a family-friendly beach with calm waters, making it perfect for young children to play and swim in.
– Tips for visiting Napili Bay: Make sure to bring beach toys for the kids and enjoy the soft white sand and clear waters.
Why Napili Bay made our list
Napili Bay is a must-visit beach for families heading to Maui. With its broad sandy shoreline and calm waters, it’s the perfect spot for young children to splash around. The rolling waves also provide some fun for older kids.
Not only is Napili Bay visually stunning with its white sand and turquoise water, but it also offers excellent swimming conditions. It’s less touristy compared to other beaches in Maui, so you can enjoy a more relaxed atmosphere while still having plenty of opportunities for water activities like paddleboarding and boogie boarding.
Plus, there are tide pools where your little ones can explore marine life up close. Located in Northwest Maui, Napili Bay is easily accessible and definitely worth adding to your family vacation itinerary.
Tips for visiting Napili Bay
- Arrive early to secure a good spot on the beach, as Napili Bay can get crowded later in the day.
- Don’t forget to bring sunscreen and reapply regularly, as the sun can be strong in Hawaii.
- Pack some snacks and drinks for your family, as no food vendors are directly on the beach.
- Consider renting or bringing your own snorkeling gear to explore the underwater world and spot Hawaiian green sea turtles.
- Be mindful of any ocean currents or warnings and only swim within designated areas for safety.
- Take advantage of the calm waters by trying out water activities like swimming, kayaking, boogie boarding, or stand-up paddleboarding.
- Please don’t leave any valuables unattended on the beach; keeping an eye on your belongings is always best.
- Enjoy the stunning views of Molokai from the beach and take some memorable family photos.
- If you’re staying at one of the oceanfront properties nearby, take advantage of their amenities and enjoy easy access to the beach.
- Lastly, relax and soak up the beauty of Napili Bay with your family – it’s one of Maui’s most beautiful beaches for a reason!
Keawakapu Beach is recommended as a kid’s playground for various beach activities.
Why Keawakapu Beach made our list
Parents can relax on the shore while keeping an eye on their little ones as they play in the gentle waves. Keawakapu Beach also provides plenty of parking, so you won’t have to worry about struggling to find a spot.
Keawakapu Beach is a prime destination for families looking to have a fun and safe beach day with their kids in Maui. This beautiful beach offers soft white sand and calm waters, making it perfect for young children to splash around and build sandcastles.
With its inviting atmosphere and kid-friendly amenities, it’s no wonder Keawakapu Beach made our list of the best beaches for kids in Maui.
Tips for visiting Keawakapu Beach
- Keawakapu Beach is a great option for families with young children, offering a safe and enjoyable environment.
- Pack plenty of sunscreen to protect your little ones from the strong Hawaiian sun.
- Don’t forget to bring beach toys and floaties for the kids to play with in the calm waters.
- There are picnic areas nearby, so consider bringing some snacks or a packed lunch for a beachside picnic.
- Remember to bring towels and extra clothes for the kids, as they will get wet and sandy.
- Keep an eye out for sea turtles, as Keawakapu Beach is known for frequent turtle sightings.
- Be sure to stay within designated swimming areas and adhere to any posted safety guidelines.
- If you plan on snorkeling, remember to bring your own gear or rent it from one of the local shops.
- Take advantage of the playground equipment available at Keawakapu Beach to keep your little ones entertained.
- Enjoy the stunning views of turquoise waters and golden sand that Keawakapu Beach offers.
Sure, here are a couple of additional sections you can add to the article:
Best Places to Visit in Maui with Kids
In addition to the beaches mentioned in the article, there are many other great places to visit in Maui with kids. Here are a few of our favorites:
- Haleakala National Park: This stunning park is home to towering volcanoes, lush rainforests, and stunning views. There are plenty of hiking trails and activities to keep kids entertained.
- Lahaina: This historic town is full of charm and has plenty of kid-friendly activities, such as visiting the Lahaina Plantation, exploring the banyan tree, and watching the sunset at Ka’anapali Beach
- Iao Valley State Monument: This beautiful valley is home to a towering waterfall, lush vegetation, and plenty of opportunities for hiking and picnicking.
- Road to Hana: This scenic drive takes you along winding roads, past waterfalls and lush rainforests. There are plenty of stops along the road.
- Keanae Peninsula: This peninsula is home to a beautiful beach, a working farm, and plenty of opportunities for hiking and exploring.
Perfect Places for Younger Children
If you’re traveling with younger children, here are a few beaches that are perfect for them:
- Baby Beach: This beach is located in Lahaina and has calm waters and a sandy bottom, making it perfect for toddlers.
- Honokowai Beach Park: This beach in Ka’anapali has calm waters and a protected cove, making it another great option for younger children.
- Keawakapu Beach: This beach in Kihei has calm waters and a sandy bottom, making it another great option for younger children.
Great Places for Older Children
If you’re traveling with older children, here are a few beaches that they might enjoy:
- Makena Beach State Park: This beach is known for its big waves, making it a great place for surfing and bodyboarding.
- Ho’okipa Beach Park: This beach is known for its windsurfing and kitesurfing, making it a great place for older children interested in these activities.
- Charley Young Beach: This beach is located in Wailea and has a rocky bottom, making it a great place for older children who enjoy exploring tide pools.
Favorite Things to Do in Maui with Kids
Here are a few of our favorite things to do in Maui with kids:
- Go snorkeling: Maui’s waters are home to various colorful fish and coral reefs, making it a great place to go snorkeling.
- Go whale watching: Maui is home to humpback whales during winter, making it a great place to go whale watching.
- Visit a luau: A luau is a great way to experience Hawaiian culture and learn about the island’s history.
- Go hiking: Maui has plenty of hiking trails so that you can find one perfect for your family’s skill level.
- Visit a waterfall: Maui is home to many beautiful waterfalls so you can find one perfect for a refreshing swim.
Best Beaches For Kids In Maui Conclusion
In conclusion, Maui offers some of the best beaches for kids with its calm waters, soft white sand, and abundant activities. Whether exploring tidal pools at Kamaole Beach Parks or snorkeling with sea turtles at Baby Beach, there is something for every family to enjoy.
So pack your sunscreen and prepare for a memorable beach vacation in paradise!
- What are some kid-friendly beaches in Maui?
Some popular kid-friendly beaches in Maui include Ka’anapali Beach, Napili Bay, Baby Beach, and Kamaole Beach Park.
- Are these beaches safe for children to swim in?
Yes, these beaches are generally considered safe for children to swim in. However, supervising children and being aware of potential hazards, such as strong currents or large waves, is always important.
- Do these beaches have facilities like restrooms and showers?
Many of the kid-friendly beaches in Maui do have facilities such as restrooms and showers available for public use. Checking beforehand or bringing necessary items if they are not provided is recommended.
- Are there any activities or amenities specifically catered towards kids at these beaches?
Some kid-friendly beaches in Maui may offer amenities such as playgrounds, shallow areas for wading, calm waters suitable for snorkeling with colorful fish, or nearby food vendors selling snacks loved by children.
- What makes the Hawaiian Islands, particularly Maui, a perfect place for a family beach vacation?
The Hawaiian Islands, including Maui, are a perfect place for a family beach vacation because they offer a mix of adventure, relaxation, and culture. Maui’s beaches are famed for their clear, warm waters and stunning surroundings.
- What are some attractions near Black Rock and Wailea Beach?
Near Black Rock and Wailea Beach, you’ll find many attractions suitable for the whole family. From a short walk to local food trucks for a bite to eat to visiting Maui Ocean Center, there are the best things to do beyond the beach.
- Where can one find a beach with a grassy area for picnics?
Baldwin Beach Park is a great beach with a grassy area ideal for family picnics. It’s only a short distance from the Old Lahaina Luau, making it a good place to spend an entire day with the family.
- Can you recommend a beach that is a hidden gem in Maui?
One of the favorite places among locals is the crescent-shaped Hamoa Beach. It’s a hidden gem with its small cove, black sand, and calmer waters, perfect for little kids, especially during summer.
- Is it possible to go snorkeling in Maui?
Absolutely! Maui is known for its great snorkeling spots. For instance, Ulua Beach and Kaanapali Beach offer close encounters with vibrant marine life. Just remember to respect the environment and the creatures you come across.
- Are there any beaches that are a short walk from good food options?
Yes, the areas around Big Beach and Little Beach are famous for food trucks serving delicious local fare. They are favorite spots among both locals and tourists.
- Are there private properties near the beach that visitors should be aware of?
Yes, some areas, like around the Fairmont Kea Lani, are private property. It’s always best to respect these boundaries and stay within public beach areas or walking distance of your accommodation.
- How does La Perouse Bay differ from other beaches in Maui?
La Perouse Bay, situated at the foot of the West Maui Mountains, is unique for its historical significance and rugged beauty. It’s quite different from the sandy beach experiences of other spots and is a short distance from the Sliding Sands Trail – a must-visit for any nature enthusiast.
- Are any beaches on the North Shore of Maui suitable for kids?
Absolutely. Baldwin Beach Park, located on the North Shore of Maui, has a large parking lot and is known for its gentle waves, making it suitable for families with little kids.
- How easy is it to find parking at these beaches?
Most beaches, such as the Kamaole Beaches, have a large parking lot nearby. However, it might require a short walk from the parking lot to the beach during peak season or summer months.
- What is the significance of the Mile Marker about the beaches in Maui?
Mile markers in Maui are often used as references for finding the best beach spots. For example, the famed Black Rock is between mile markers 3 and 4 on the Ka’anapali Beach walk. Always look for these markers for guidance on your next beach adventure.
- What makes the Hyatt Regency Maui Resort stand out in its beach offerings?
The Hyatt Regency Maui Resort is a beloved spot for good reason. It’s adjacent to the famous Ka’anapali Beach, making it an ideal spot for beach lovers. The resort also offers many water sports and beach activities for guests.